child at child care provider location

Information for Prospective Child Care Providers

Child Care Aware is here to help you get started and to support you throughout your career.

Do you want to care for children in your home? Learn more about being a licensed family child care provider.

Are you interested in starting a child care center or preschool?

Do you want to take care of children of family members or friends?


Child Care centers are licensed by the Minnesota Department of Human Services 651-431-6500.

Family Child Care homes are licensed by each county.

For more information on licensing regulations, contact 651-266-KIDS.

Most family, friend and neighbor caregivers are not required to be licensed by the state.