child care provider with children

Opening a Child Care Center or Preschool

Step 1: Contact your state licensor.
Contact the Minnesota Department of Human Services by calling 651-431-6500 or learn more by visiting their website.

Step 2: Contact your local Child Care Aware Agency.
These agencies can offer the latest statistics on child care demand in your area. They also offer quality support, business support, ongoing education, grants and scholarships to child care professionals. You can get contact information for your local Child Care Aware agency here. Child Care Aware agencies help parents find local child care by keeping up-to-date information on providers.

Step 3: Create your business and financing plans.
For templates and information on creating a business plan, marketing your child care program and understanding financial planning for your business, contact First Children’s Finance by calling 1-866-562-6801 or visiting their website.

Step 4: Join a professional association.

The Minnesota Association for the Education of Young Children (MnAEYC)’s mission is to serve and act on behalf of early childhood (birth to age 8) care and education professionals in Minnesota.